RERUNS FOR LITTLE ONES

Name your price

Moms cope with growing pains

 

Jennifer Menster

Special to the Star

RUTHERFORDTON – Moms helping other moms – and themselves – find new clothes for growing kids while they earn extra money.

 

That’s the mission of WeeRuns, Inc., a one-week sale held twice a year in Rutherford County.

 

WeeRuns is similar to a consignment shop.  Officials rent a building and fill it with consignment items such as clothes, toys, games, puzzles, books, videos, bicycles, and furniture.

 

After the sale is complete, those who donate items receive a check for 60 percent of their profit.  The other 40 percent goes to the company and all items not sold are sent to local charities.

 

The sale begins at 8 a.m. Saturday and lasts through next weekend.  Ths year, the temporary consignment shop will be in Spindale.  The building is on Highway 74A in the Kmart plaza shopping center, across from Isothermal Community College.

 

Amy Revis, a mother of two, is the sales manager for WeeRuns.

 

She said about 150 people have donated items to WeeRuns for this year’s sale.

 

All items not sold will be donated to Heartbeats Pregnancy Center, which assists about 130 new or expectant mothers each year.

 

The non-profit organization gives clothing, cribs, diapers and other necessities to the mothers.  Already this year, the organization has helped 353 moms, said Delores Heiliger, office manager.  “There is always a need for every item that comes in.”

 

In the past, WeeRuns has given unsold items to Hospice of Rutherford County and Yokefellow.

 

“We pick different charities that we know are worthy,” Ms. Revis said.  “We knew Heartbeats could use items we have.”

 

WeeRuns began three years ago in Rutherford County.  It is the first major expansion of WeeRuns, Inc. of High Point, started 9 years ago by a friend of Ms. Revis.

 

“Sometimes moms are too busy to shop,” Ms. Revis said.  “This is the place to shop if you are looking for the bargain of the year.  This place is an amazing accumulation of toys and clothes in one spot.”

 

Items at the sale are for parents, including expectant mothers, with children of middle-school age and younger.

 

Those who consign their items write down a recommended price.  Most prices are 30 to 50 percent off the retail price.  A lot of name brand items can be found at the sale, such as GAP, Lands’ End and OshKosh B’Gosh, Ms. Revis said.

 

“WeeRuns is well organized,” said shopper and giver Sherri Greene, who lives in Shelby.  “It is a pleasure to shop there.”

 

Ms. Greene, a mother of four, said she gives to WeeRuns because her children are always outgrowing their clothes.

 

“It is difficult for me to have a garage sale on my own,” Ms. Greene said.  “It is worthwhile for me to take a few weeks, get items, price them and let WeeRuns take care of the rest.”

 

Ms. Greene also added that her husband enjoys the cleared storage space and extra money.

 

On average, Ms. Greene, who has participated in WeeRuns each year, makes about $100.  She also finds great items for her children – ages 3 through 8.

 

“WeeRuns is a wonderful program,” Ms. Greene said.  “It benefits moms looking for quality items and organizations that benefit from leftover items.”

 

Preparation for the event began nearly two weeks ago.  About 60 volunteers have spent hours arranging items on racks and shelves.  By the time the store is set up, Ms. Revis said items will fill the 5,000-square-foot building from wall to wall.

 

Those who volunteer for 4 or more hours could shop as early as Thursday; consigners (sic) get to shop today.

 

Reprinted from the September 20, 2002 edition of The Shelby Star, pages 1 and 10A.